Plane

Plane

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Magnetic Knife Strip 2.0: Walnut Edition


I delivered Magnetic Knife Strip 2.0 to its proud new owner today. He was stoked.



By and large this knife strip is very similar to the spalted maple one that I made earlier. I qualify this as its own version number because I refined my construction technique. Instead of a 5/8" forstner bit on the drill press to drill the holes, I switched to a 5/8" plunge straight cut router bit and use the pin router to drill the holes for the magnets.

The magnets are 5/8" diameter, 5/8" tall, cylinders. They're rare earth neodymium magnets with a 50 lb pull force. They'll hold your knives I'm sure.


The material is walnut and has been rubbed in mineral oil (butcher's block oil). Walnut is a gorgeous wood and is sometimes referred to as the king of the domestic hard woods. It's one of the best options for domestic, naturally-occurring, dark color. The oil darkens it slightly, but this is about it's natural color.

If anyone else is interested in a magnetic knife strip, just ask and I'd be happy to make one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment