Plane

Plane

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Bloodwood Nickel Pen



I've been turning a few pens recently. I'm doing it in no small part because it helps keep some rudimentary lathe skills sharp and also because unlike building complex furniture that takes days of labor, I can finish a pen in one work session. I had a small quantity of bloodwood leftover from my bed side stand, it's my all-time favorite wood to cut, and I thought, why not turn it into a pen. This is what I ended up with. More pictures after the jump.



Bloodwood is an incredibly dense, hard, oily tropical wood with a perfume-like scent when cut. It is one of the few naturally true red colored woods that is commercially utilized. It's typically used as a trim or accent piece in American woodworking. As it turns out, it makes a pretty nice pen too.




As always, feel free to contact me to order one (or two! or more than two!).

No comments:

Post a Comment